Sunday, August 10, 2014

North Dakota

North Dakota, it's been real, but we have to move on to Big Sky Country.  Actually, North Dakota, you are quite more than I thought you would be.

From the North Dakota Badlands to Theodore Roosevelt National Park to the wildlife, North Dakota is more than just desolate rangeland and western appeal, though there is plenty on both accounts.

We spent two days in Medora, ND, a quaint town priding itself on its old time Western appeal (they even have a Cowboy Hall of Fame--I regret not going) and the national park.  Unsuspecting as it may be on the map, this town is a mix of tourist trap and "real" town.  Though, the population certainly swells in the summer months, the number of lodging accommodations is a testament to that.



Theodore Roosevelt National Park is divided into the North Unit and the South Unit; Medora is located along the South Unit, and this is the only section we were able to visit.
The park's view gives way to breathtaking vistas of the badlands consisting of, as stated in the park's map, " buttes, tablelands, and valleys." Impressive and vast, dominating the landscape long after leaving the park.  The petrified forest is further evidence of the geologic history that took place to form the badlands.

Driving through the scenic roads of the South Unit, we saw many prairie dog "villages", wild horses, and a good number of bison, who like to roam along the roadside.  One thing I didn't expect to see was prickly pear cactus.  More on that in a bit.

Thankfully, while out on our trail run and our mountain bike ride on the Mash Daah Hey Trail, the only evidence of the bison was the piles of poop they leave behind.  It was only inevitable I'd end up some on my leg.

During our bike ride, the bison poop was not the only thing I brought back with me.  I also discovered pickers from the aptly named prickly pear cactus on my calf, presumably from a small tumble I took.


No comments:

Post a Comment